Improving Fuel Economy: The “Why” and “How” to
Improving Fuel Economy and reducing fuel costs is not a new topic, yet many are looking to discover the secret formula to effectively improve their fuel economy. Whether you own one vehicle or an entire fleet, extracting savings from fuel cost reduction initiatives is important and impacts your bottom line. In the not so distant past going ‘green’ was the buzz word for implementing environmentally friendly and sustainable practices. In today’s times we have been hit with ever-increasing fuel prices, and the pressure to ‘go green’ is now driven by fuel economy measures. For most businesses the number one area targeted is fuel as it is the largest operating cost that a fleet incurs.
- One measurable method that helps derive fast fuel savings is to implement a GPS fleet management solution – also known as GPS tracking systems. With this approach you can reduce fuel consumption by:
- + Improving driver productivity – reduce vehicle idling time, speeding, and harsh acceleration
- + Incorporating route optimization to reduce total miles driven
- + Detecting engine issues that could be contributing to great fuel spending
- + Analyzing your miles per gallon (MPG) reports to pinpoint your most fuel efficient vehicles
An overall Green Fleet Program which targets improving fuel economy with the use of innovative fleet management technologies helps Fleet Managers and business owners maximize their returns. Likewise, more and more businesses are turning to hybrid and electric vehicle purchases. As these vehicles become more widely used, GPS tracking systems development firms must be prepared to offer reliable fleet management solutions which cater to these vehicles.
Ask your GPS tracking system provider if their technology is compatible with hybrid and electric vehicles. It is important to implement a comprehensive GPS tracking system infrastructure that allows for fleet adaptability.
Armed with information, business owners can start to formulate plans which tackle fuel economy improvement goals and objectives. Speaking with a knowledgeable consultant can help you address your needs and show you how to achieve realizable ROI.